Deeply Knowing

At the start of the new year I chose several personal mantras to live by for the next few months, and my most repeated has been: Don't say I don't know.
Often I find making small decisions to be the most time consuming. Quieting the day-to-day clutter enough to make space to decide what to make for dinner can be painful. In order to combat the voice in my head telling me otherwise I have to remind myself that I know what I need, and tune in to my body.
Linking an asana to a specific feeling is a powerful tool for repatterning your thought processes and for this mantra I chose tree pose, Vrksasana in Sanskrit, as a reminder to embody my knowing.
The anatomical focus in this pose is balance. It requires faith in yourself to stand on one leg with your arms in the air. You have to be present, trust your gut, and accept who you are in life. Your body knows how open your hips are, how strong your standing leg is, when to fire, and when to soften. Tree pose takes patience, a willingness for self-discovery, and a tuning in to your own deep knowing.