Your friend, You

It's Therapeutic Thursday the topic is self-image. I have started and stopped writing this post for weeks, as if avoiding the subject would make it dissolve from my consciousness. Using myself as an example of negative self-talk is as revealing and honest as it gets, so here goes.

The best part about teaching yoga is witnessing students become more confident and comfortable in their bodies. Even though in my classes self-acceptance is paramount, I tend to be much harder on myself as I try to 'perfect' each pose AS IF THAT IS EVEN POSSIBLE. My friend Andy Sprott told me recently to practice what I preach, and though it may sound trite it rings absolutely true.

I finally read Elizabeth Gilbert's book Eat Pray Love and was surprised by how many times I laughed aloud. One of my favorite parts is when she recognizes a friend in the reflection of a building and runs up to herself to say "hi!". The anecdote served as a humorous reminder to temper my own tendency toward negative self-talk with some much needed pats on the back.

Sadie Nardini states that one of the major pitfalls of being obsessed with the aesthetics of one's asana practice is chronic injury. Last year my attempts to find a deeper forward fold left me with a dull aching hamstring muscle which took months to heal. A habit of loving yourself can keep you from overdoing it in your yoga practice.

Try this at home:
The next time you look at yourself in the mirror, look kindly, cause that's a friend looking back at you.

If that doesn't work then invite a bunch of friends over to play a therapeutic round of non-competitive Canadian self-esteem game "Proud To Be Me".

Love and yoga,
Fawn

P.S. Andy, I'm totally working on it!