Magical Chaturanga

I took a level 3 class with Lisa Mae at The Bhaktishop and it was a blast. The students in class were mostly teachers that day, but even so I felt a resonance in the room when she announced that we'd be workshopping chaturanga dandasana (aka four-limbed staff pose).
I, and likely most of us, wondered: Am I in proper alignment? Does Lisa Mae have a mind-blowing way of approaching this pose? Is my chaturanga ready for critique?
Part of my own inner monologue was a fear of re-injuring old rotator cuff injuries from dancing upside down- hands used to be more like feet to me! Also, during a yoga class about 8 years ago I was told by an instructor that I would cause more injuries to my shoulders doing chaturanga the way that I was. Funny thing is she never offered any suggestions or modifications.
Onward to present time. As I tentatively went through my vinyasa: coming down, backbending, pressing up, lengthening and back down again, BING! a light went off in my consciousness. Chaturanga was no longer scary. My shoulder didn't make snapping sounds when pushing up. Lisa Mae's cues for chaturanga were just what I needed.
It reminded me that what makes a sustainable practice is knowing when it's therapeutic to push through habitual defensiveness, and when it is optimal to stop pushing. In response to that negative experience long ago, I encourage inquiry and kindness rather than fear in my classes, but it's still up to the student to listen.

Love and yoga,

Fawn